Wednesday, June 22, 2011

CSA Pick up number 1

Ok this is off topic and not business related but here we go.

I am this summer 2011 participating in a Fruit CSA(Consumer Supported Agriculture) with G and S Orchards.

I purchased 1/2 a share I felt a full share would be way to much for my home considering the picky eaters I have. I am also a big fruit eater so this was perfect.

This weeks take home was 2 quarts of strawberries and 1lbs of rhubarb(I promise next week pictures)

So what I did yesterday was brought my lovely bag of fruit home washed it up and tried this wonderful recipe that they passed on to us: I am eating mine with no cream on it and it is just wonderful.

Strawberry Rhubarb with Lots of Crisp
(From the kitchen of Autumn Kirker)


Fruit Filling - note this recipe is flexible enough for you to change the amounts of Rhubarb and Strawberries just make sure the fruit equals 6 cups in total. Be sure to adjust the sugar accordingly.


Rhubarb washed and cut into 1/2” pieces - 4 cups
Strawberries washed and sliced - 2 cups
Sugar - 3/4 of a cup
All Purpose Flour - 3 Tablespoons


Mix the above ingredients together and place in an ungreased 9 x 11 glass baking dish.


Crisp Topping


Rolled Oats - 1 cup
Light Brown Sugar - 1 cup
All Purpose Flour - 1/2 cup
Cinnamon OR Nutmeg OR Clove – 1/2 Teaspoon
(Select only one of the spices based on your personal preference do not use all three).
Softened Butter - 1/2 cup


Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Cut the butter into the mixed dry ingredients. Sprinkle this mixture over the fruit filling.


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in a pre - heated oven at 375 degrees.
Serve warm or cold as is or with whipped cream, ice cream or heavy cream. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment